At Stanfield Nursing Home, training care home staff in donning and doffing PPE correctly is vital to ensure the safety of both our staff and those we care for.
Recent statistics show that 90% of healthcare workers are at risk when donning and doffing their PPE. We have introduced cutting-edge AI software called Blue Mirror to address this issue. Clinicians in New Zealand developed this software specifically for their peers, aiming to train our staff in the proper donning and doffing of PPE.
Care Home Staff Training: Blue Mirror AI in Action
At Stanfield, we prioritise the continuous professional development of our staff. Recently, we have incorporated Blue Mirror AI as part of this.
Blue Mirror AI is an innovative tool that automatically assesses and corrects errors in PPE applications.
To integrate Blue Mirror into our care home setting, we have installed wall-mounted tablets in designated PPE donning and doffing areas. In training mode, the system helps medical students learn and allows clinicians to refresh their knowledge.
This saves time, money, and resources while improving infection control and minimising the spread of infections by reducing PPE errors.
How It Works: Donning & Doffing PPE Correctly
The unique Blue Mirror AI application can be added to a wall or flexi-arm mounted tablet which then works as a ‘mirror’ in any environment.
The powerful artificial intelligence guides care home staff through every step of the process. This process involves offering instant feedback and immediate corrective action if staff don or doff PPE incorrectly.
Blue Mirror PPE: Training Features for Care Home Staff
Blue Mirror AI offers two options:
- Centralised PPE Buddy: This allows for a single team member to oversee the donning and doffing processes. They can review and approve PPE from a remote location without having to be physically present.
- Fully Virtual Assistant: The virtual assistant guides users through the donning and doffing process and corrects errors along the way. It can also be optimised to accommodate specific PPE requirements.
Key Features of Blue Mirror AI:
- 100% Touchless Interaction: The system ensures a safe and hygienic experience, with no need for physical contact between users and the tablet interface.
- Digital Augmented Mirror: Wall-mounted tablets transform into digitally augmented mirrors, providing care home staff with a clear view of their actions throughout the PPE donning and doffing process.
- Visual and Audio Guidance: Blue Mirror AI offers step-by-step guidance using both visual and audio cues, ensuring clear and easy-to-follow instructions.
- Instant Feedback and Corrective Action: When users don or doff PPE incorrectly, the system gives real-time feedback for immediate error correction and the reinforcement of best practices.
Incorporating Blue Mirror AI at Stanfield: Enhancing Safety for Staff and Residents
By using Blue Mirror AI to train our care home staff in the proper use of PPE, we are actively minimising the risk of infection for both our staff and those we care for. The software helps prevent the spread of infections within the care home environment. This is because it reduces PPE errors and reinforcing best practices in infection control.
With the help of Blue Mirror AI, we can maintain the highest standards of safety and care in our nursing home.
Related: What Makes A Good Carer?
If you want to learn more about the continuous professional development of staff at Stanfield, please visit our website today. Alternatively, you can call 01905 420 459 to speak to a member of our helpful and friendly team. You can also check out our social media for daily updates.
If you have found this useful, you may wish to read about how Stanfield incorporated Digitally Enabled Care during Covid-19.